Thursday, October 20, 2011

A "PB" and a lot of money raised for cancer research!

I'll write a proper post about my experiences here in California when I return home - but thought I would just take a few minutes to provide a quick update in the meantime.  The race on Sunday was AMAZING!! Truly! The weather couldn't have been more perfect, the energy of 20,000 women lining up at the start line together was infectious and I ran a personal best marathon time of just over 4:36!

That isn't fast by world class standards of course - but it's a full 12 minutes faster than my marathon in June, and 11 minutes faster than my best time in Chicago in 2009 - which is amazing given how much tougher the course was. The best part was that I actually felt pretty good at the end - despite the killer hills, despite an inadequate taper, despite my knee feeling stiff and sore for the last 7 or 8 kms!  What an incredible feeling it was to cross the finish line knowing I'd run so well (for me!) and that friends, family, colleagues and a few people I didn't even know had donated close to $6,000 to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada!

As I said, I'll be sure to write a proper update when I return home. Until then, my sincere thanks to all who supported me in this project - my inspirations, my wonderful sponsors, my ever-growing TNT family, our incredible coaches (Ramona and Theresa) and of course my husband - without whose love, patience and generous support none of this would have been possible.

2 comments:

  1. Huge congrats on a marvelous marathon, Janice :) And a PR, well done!

    Enjoy the rest, the recovery and the glow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janet. It was a great trip. I'll post a proper account of the race once I've had a chance to write it. LOL! Things have been a bit frantic since I got back.

    ReplyDelete